- Onions - 3 to 4 [ peel and chopped ]
- Red big tomatoes - 1 / 2 k. g. [ cut in to small pieces ]
- Garlic flakes - 5 to 6 [ peel and smashed ]
- Oil [ til oil ] - 5 table spoon
- Salt - as required
- Turmeric powder - 1 / 2 sp
- Red chilli powder - 3 to tbl. sps.
- Sugar - 1 / 2 sp
For seasoning :
- Mustard seeds - 1 sp
- Asafoetida - 1 / 2 sp
Take one deep bottom kadai, heat till oil and put mustard seeds, when it crackles add asafoetida. Wait for a while and add chopped onions to that and fry for 5 mints in low flame. When the onion change in to light brown colour, add tomatoes to that. Mix salt, turmeric, chilli powder and little sugar. Fry for 10 mints till the tomatoes become soft. This time add garlic to that, fry for some more time. When the thokku becomes thick and oil leaves the side remove from the gas. When cooled, fill in a bottle and store. It goes well with roti, hot ghee rice, iddlies and dosas.