- Tuvar Dal - 1/2 cup [boiled & smashed]
- Potato - 1 medium size [boiled]
- Fresh Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
- Tamarind Paste - 1 tsp
- Small Onion [Sambhar Onion] - 1/2 cup [peeled]
- Red Tomato - 1 Big [chopped]
- Brinjal - 1 medium sized [cut into small pieces]
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - As required
- Red Chillie powder - 1 tsp
- Sambhar Powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chillie - 1 [broken]
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Currey leaves - little
- Chopped Coriander leaves - little
Take one deep kadai. Add oil, heat it & add the seasoning ingrdients .
When the mustard seeds pops, add onion & fry for 5 minutes till its colour changes. Then add tomatoes, brinjal & fry for a minute. Then add tamarind paste, salt, red chillie powder, sambhar powder, asafoetida, sugar along with required water. In the meantime, grind the boiled potato along with grated coconut & make it into a smooth paste.
When the water starts boiling & the vegetable becomes soft, add the smashed tuvar dal along with grounded masala. Alow it to boil for 5 minutes in slow flame. When the sambhar gets ready, remove from the gas & garnish with currey leaves & chopped coriander leaves. Your potato sambhar is ready. Serve hot with steamed rice, idli or dosa.
This is my Brother Kanna's recipe.